Updates are essential if you want to have a bug free website, as we add new features and make improvements to the theme over time. Some of these updates might be needed in order to make the theme compatible with newer versions of WordPress.
There is no risk of losing your settings and pages. However, if you had made modifications to theme files, they will be lost. That’s why we recommend using the child theme. In our version 3.1.0, we have added child theme.
Please make a backup of your website before updating the theme.
There are several way to update the theme. Here, we are going to cover 2 ways. First one is easy by installing a plugin in the WordPress admin panel. And second one is a bit tricky because you need to update through the FTP. If you are not familiar with the FTP, we recommend to update the theme by the first way.
Method 1: Update Theme Through WordPress Admin Panel
- For this method, you should first install the Theme Upgrades Tool.
- Unzip the file you just downloaded from ThemeForest and locate the WordPress Theme. (i.e. moon-shop.zip).
- Login to your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on “Appearance > Themes”.
- Click on Add New button on this page
- Click on Upload Theme Button
- Click “Choose File” and locate the new theme file. (i.e. moon-shop.zip).
- Click “Install Now”.
- Click “Activate”. You can download existing theme as a backup in this screen.
Attention: After updating the theme, please update theme bundled plugins, if required. To update Visual Composer, you need to delete existing Visual Composer plugin and install this the plugin again from“WP-admin > Appearance > Install Plugins” Interface.
Method 2: Update Theme Through FTP
- Login to your Themeforest account and go to downloads (Dashboard > Downloads).
- Download the theme to your computer.
- Install an FTP program (for example, Filezilla is free).
- Retrieve your FTP login information from your hosting admin panel and login into your hosting via FTP.
- Unzip the item main file.
- Locate theme.zip (i.e. moon-shop.zip) and unzip it. Make sure your unzipping software does not create an extra directory with the same name, nested into each other.
- Drag and drop theme main folder into your FTP program with the destination: “YOUR_HOSTING_ROOT/YOUR_SUBDIRECTORY/wp-content/themes/”.
- The FTP program will give a warning that there is an existing directory with the same name, choose to Replace All.
- It will take between 10 to 30 minutes to replace all files. Once you are done, login to your WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance > Themes. Click on “Theme Details”. Check the version number beside the theme name.
Attention: After updating the theme, please update theme bundled plugins, if required. To update Visual Composer, you need to delete the existing Visual Composer plugin and install this plugin again from “WP-admin > Appearance > Install Plugins” Interface.