Missing the style.css error is a common issue that can occur when installing WordPress theme especially from the Themeforest market of Envato. “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” error message being displayed when uploading or activating the theme. This error happens when you try to upload an incorrect file into WordPress.
The main ZIP folder you have downloaded from Themeforest consists of several files, such as the WordPress theme file, Documentation file or any other files that theme author included. You need to upload only the WordPress theme file which is called themename.zip. If you upload ALL these files you will receive an error.
To solve this problem, there are two options. You can unzip the ZIP folder that you have downloaded from Themeforest after purchasing. After unzipping, you will see a ZIP file which is called themename.zip. You need to upload this ZIP file into the theme page of WordPress.
Or, You can download only the WordPress theme file from Themeforest. To do that,
- Login to Themeforest Login.
- Go to “Download” page from the user menu. or click this link.
- Click on the arrow symbol next to the text of “Download” (Green Button) of your purchased item (See below image).
- You will see 4 menus. You need to click on “Installable WordPress file only”.
- After downloading the file, upload this file into Your WordPress.
How to upload WordPress theme through the WordPress admin area?
- Log in to your WordPress admin area.
- Browse to Appearance > Themes.
- Click on ‘Add New’.
- Click ‘Upload’.
- Browse and select the theme zip file to ‘Upload’.
How to upload WordPress theme through the FTP?
- WordPress files can also be uploaded manually via FTP.
- Upload the files to /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server.
- Login to your WordPress admin area to change the theme.
- Check out the guide on WordPress.org here.
Hope this will help you to solve the style.css stylesheet error on WordPress.